Fitness Blog IconInstagram-Logo-1indexj]blog-lovin-icon_zpsbf482c6a

Features

Friday, January 8, 2016

Fitness Goals 2016

Hi all. As I've recently taken up swimming and running again I thought I'd share my fitness/sport goals. I think these are all achievable in the long term having regard to my current level. As I mentioned previously, I commenced running last July but have been struggling with an ankle injury for the last few months. It's been very demotivating and frustrating when all I want to do is run, something which is positive and consistent with self improvement. So I don't want to push myself too much with the running goals listed below. My main problem with injury has been returning to running too early so I need to avoid that. If I can recover fully from my ankle injury then I hope to achieve the below. As a result of being injured so frequently I decided to take up swimming again. I have a lot of background in swimming, having competed for most of my childhood. I'm surprised how much of the technique and skill I've retained after over ten years away from the pool. However, I'm sure I wouldn't have the speed or skills for racing at the moment; I'd be much slower. Having taken up swimming again only three weeks ago, I've found the desire to join a swim club and participate in race nights again. I love the satisfaction I get from achieving a goal and improving my best. This is a big deal for me as I never thought it would happen. I don't want to put pressure on myself as that was one of the reasons I gave up swimming in the first place so if it all becomes too serious and like a chore, then I'll have to stop. I want this to be different and for enjoyment only. Luckily I heard that adult swimming is much more relaxed. 


Fitness/Sport Goals for 2016 
-return to running after injury 
-return to regular Saturday morning parkruns
-run 5km in under 27 minutes 
-run another 10km in under 1 hour
-complete 14km City to Surf (annual run in Sydney) in August 
-join masters swim club 
-swim in a competitive race (first one in over ten years)
-swim or run at least 3 times a week
-continue with swimming training for the year (even if it's only once a week for fitness and even if competition and club don't work out)
-improve personal best times for swimming (general because I don't know what level I'm currently at- sure I'll be far off the times I used to do)

Do you have any similar goals for the year? 

21 comments:

Launna said...

Imogen, your goals sound great... I hope your ankle heals very soon. I'm grateful to be back to walking... I'm at about 90%... I'm trying not to injure it again. My goal this Summer is to run a little more and compete in a 10K. Hopefully you and I both get healed completely so that we can attain our goals... Have a great weekend coming up xox ♡♡♡

Adam said...

I wish I could swim, I can a little but not enough to survive in deep water

Snoskred said...

I also posted about my main goal for this year today. :)

My Main Goal For 2016

Unknown said...

Those are really fantastic goals! Wish you all the best for 2016 :)

-- new blogpost in my blog :)
Take care always, love Christine ~ xx
BLOG | BLOGLOVIN' | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Really great goals, you can do it! I need to get back into yoga really, though the winter just makes me sleepy, haha :) Happy weekend xx

Kati said...

Great goals! 14km is quite a distance to run...

-Kati

Unknown said...

Great!
Best wishes.

Couture Carrie said...

Amazing goals! Totally inspiring!

xoxox,
CC

Lostvestige said...

I hope your ankle makes a quick recovery so you can get back at it! I have gone through similar issues with my shoulders. They seem to get injured so easily, but I hate taking breaks from exercise so I never give them time to rest in between. Best of luck with completing your goals this year!

Deepti said...

These are such great goals!! I wish you all the best for 2016!

I write Mademoiselle Meets Maquillage and Macaroons and I would love for you to give it a read. Maybe we can follow each other on Bloglovin?
www.mademoisellemeetsmaquillageandmacaroons.com

Deepti x

Beauty Unearthly said...

Great items Really interesting post...thx for sharing! xx

Lauren-Blair Donovan said...

This is awesome!! Best of luck! I hate it when I'm on a fitness kick but an injury benches me for a bit. Glad you're back! XO
Lauren-Blair
www.prefertobedemure.com

Tania Franco said...

Wow Imogen, I like how precise you are with your goals. I have in mind, but I haven't made a list. Thanks for sharing yours with us, and have a wonderful 2016! Hope you surpass all your goals!

xx,
Tania
http://inspiremyfancy.blogspot.com/

Corinne said...

Good luck in your goals! I'd love to run a 10k in under an hour, my fastest time was 1hour 1 min, so close!

Corinne x
www.skinnedcartree.com

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Awesome goals! Joining a swim club sounds fun :)

Lux G. said...

Sounds like a promising year for you.
Happy 2016 and stay gorgeous.

Ivana Split said...

I've been thinking about taking up swimming again because I have a foot injury. I think swimming is the perfect sport when one is injured, but it is also a great sport for the whole body and it basically prevents injuries.

Take it easy with your ankle...I ignored my foot injury and I ended up with prolonging it..we need to take it easy sometimes. Running is great but it important to be healthy and in good shape before taking it up.

miasmode said...

Happy New Imogen! I hope you'll recover fully soon. I had similar goals last year but I failed. That's why I don't have any resolutions this year.

www.glamdevils.com

Mica said...

These sound like great goals for the new year! Hope your ankle injury heals so you're able to achieve everything you wish to accomplish! :)

Away From The Blue Blog

Silver Cat Tea Party said...

Good luck with your fitness goals this year! <3

A Very Sweet Blog said...

I think your plans are awesome. I just want to get my house straight so I can walk on the treadmill more. LOL
http://www.averysweetblog.com/